For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Thursday, January 24, 2008

6th Day on the Mountain

I have just re-read the blog entry for yesterday and hope that my daughter was able to translate it into English! [Cherri: I think I managed ok!] I will ask my daughter to save it and later next week publish it in its entirety. One of the things about altitude sickness is that your mind goes to mush [Cherri: So with me being pregnant with a preggie mush brain we're doing well!!!].

One thing I left from the day's activities yesterday is that once Sheila and John arrived back at the hut at Kibo (4700m) from their exhausting but successful summit at Gillman's Point they had only one hour to rest before we all made our way back to Horombo (3700m). So, they have done the most amazing, but draining thing in their entire life - sleep for just one hour then walk another 11Kms before the Sun went down.

Sheila and I were wasted. John on the other hand was fine (John is such a strong person both physically and mentally). We arrived at Horombo just as the Sun was going down.

So, once we got up this morning, we all readied ourselves for the last downward trek.

Today was a very tough day. In many ways going down hill is harder than going up... and we never practised going down so I have really stretched muscles I didn't know I had.

I am still breathing heavily even though I am down at a reasonable altitude, but for the rest...a few days in Zanzibar will do the trick.

This will be the last blog entry for about 10 days. I intend to put up lots of photographs and a summary of what we have achieved. So pop back after about 10 days or so. Don't forget that it is not too late to make a pledge, and if you feel lick it, click on the "comments" button below and say a few words.

One last thing, well done to John and Sheila for summiting at Gillman's, I am very proud of you.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done, all of you. All of us at GT are equally proud. Enjoy the break in Zanzibar.
God bless. Mitch

Andy said...

Well done to all of you...! You deserve a good brak in Zanzibar. Look forward to you pics.. cheers Andy

Jen Jen said...

So the three muskaters are back down the mountain safely..
Once again as I have been saying all along, I'm so proud of you.. You have all achieved such a great achievement..

I had to laugh with so much emotion, about the comment about dad being fine after only one hour rest and 11km walk, I bet he still had some witty comments and jokes left in him, I think he actually performs better on less sleep..
I hope you all managed to keep you humour along with your altitude sickness...
Sheila, I hope you are okay. I'm thinking of you and know you are a very strong person..

Well, enjoy Zanzibar you luck people and mom...hope you got there safely and didn't have a three day wait along the way.... Have a good time unwinding, emotionally, physically and mentally...

Love to all of you.

P.s some of my fairies are still with you in zanzibar to keep an eye on yous...

love me xx

Roger Knowles said...

Roger said -
Well done! Richard, don't worry - it took Ronnie 2 tries to get to the top of Everest, so we know you'll want the same privilege!
Have a great holiday - you really deserve this rest!

jojopig.com said...

Great post. nice to read.

managetransfers Debt Settlement Live Transfers said...

If you are nervous,Ganga music put yourself in the audience. Would you laugh at any mistakes the speaker makes? Would you hold this against the speaker?ganga bhakti