For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Day One on the Mountain Continued...

We arrived at the first camp, to find that it is considerably better than we had expected.

Today's walk was steep and brisk. The tropical rain forest is almost prehistoric with ferns and lichen hanging from every branch. The local superstition here suggests that he who sees Kili before you climb it will not get to summit, on the basis that you have seen it already, so you don't have to bother getting to the top!

The mountain was draped in clouds when we approached, so the gods are with us!

Feel free to add your comments to the blog, by clicking on the word "comments" below.

No comments: