For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

14 Days to go to the Summit

Last night we walked for two and a half hours in the rain. We have avoided rainy evenings to train in the past, but it was good to test out the rainwear. The rucksack covers are really bright -luminous actually (see picture). I guess that is so we don’t lose each other in the clouds!


We have also learnt to appreciate the wonderful flora that we have, even in built up areas like Durban. I can’t wait to see all the different plants and flowers in the 4 different climates that we walk through up Kilimanjaro.



This flame lily is in Virginia Bush and the beautiful display of lilies was on the side on the road. It is amazing what you miss when you drive everywhere.

No comments: