For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Monday, January 21, 2008

Day 3 on the Mountain continued...

To raise funds for Reach for a Dream...

At least the Sun is now out, so we can dry our clothes.

Sheila is also suffering this morning, but John and Pam seem to be managing better. The Diamox probably helps, but nobody is going to stop taking it to find out...Not a chance! I am also wearing wrist straps that are meant to reduce nausea. They were my Mother's. She didn't believe that they worked, but she wore them just in case, now I know how she felt.

It is just amazing how many people we have seen here in Horombo Camp who didn't make it to the top. I certainly don't blame them.

So this is a rest day. Just as the rain starts we walk to Zebra's Rock, which is just over 3 hours our guide, Juma tells us. But, they were the hardest 3 hours of the trip so far. My mind wandered constantly to how I could go back now without losing face...maybe I could just give Reach for a Dream the money, then I could give up.

Back at Horombo Camp 3 hours later and all thoughts of giving up are gone. Having been to Zebra's Rock at 4050m, the camp is at 3750m, which is much easier to cope with.

Tomorrow is the big day - we'll be up early for an 11km walk and 1km up. We'll arrive at around 4PM for a rest and then the final summit from 11PM. I can't wait.

Please feel free to add your comments to the blog by clicking on the word "comments" below.

1 comment:

managetransfers Debt Settlement Live Transfers said...

Visualize yourself giving a terrific public Ganga music speech. The more you visualize success, the more likely you'll be to making it a ganga bhakti reality come the big day.