For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Monday, January 21, 2008

Evening of Day 3 on the Mountain - Horombo Camp

We are all resting in the hut now, waiting for dinner. It is just too cold to do anything other than get in your sleeping bag fully clothed. I am wearing fleece trousers, thermal underwear, 2 pairs of socks, a t-shirt, fleece jacket and a rain jacket.

[There seems to be some text missing from the sms from my Dad, so I shall update when I receive the rest].

4 comments:

Jen Jen said...

You guys are amazing...
You are just so determined despite how you feel. Just knowing that you all just keep going and are pushing yourselves even though you feel so terrible, wow, I know how I feel after a good night out and am not physically capable of doing anything, I take more than just my hat off to you guys..
I can't believe you have come such a long way and almost summiting... It sounds like any sight of the mountain will just carry all of you up.. And to experience a full moon up there, what more can one ask for? besides for a bit more oxygen...
Just be strong, concentrate on your breathing and take each step as it comes... And just remember, your health is worth more than anything, so be true to yourselves and know your limits...
Love to all of you...
P.s, I have sent my oxygen fairies out to you tonight...
Love me xx

Unknown said...

Keep going guys, but don't jeopardise your health. After the cold there, our aircon is going to be like a heater for you, Sheils! Take care. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Love. Mitch

Richard said...

All the best for tomorrow. Holding thumbs. I think you have firmly rested any notion that this climb is a walk in the park. Just reading your blogs makes me feel sympathetic nausea. All the best for the summit, and can't wait for the picture from the top.
Luv Richard and Cara

Andy said...

Hang in there guys - you are almost there - sending you positive energy - go for it.. cheers andy