For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Day 5 on the Mountain

Just to let you know that all are safe and well. We are half way back down the mountain and sleeping, looking forward to the race tomorrow back down to the Marangu gate...but I am getting ahead of myself...

At about 10.30PM lasst night, we were woken to get ready for the final push up the mountain to Uhuru Peak, which is right at the top of the mountain and the ultimate target for all climbers.

The day was clear with a full moon so we didn't need our headlights on.

As soon as we were out of camp we started to walk through thick snow. We weren't really prepared for this as we didn't have crampons, ironic really as I had had the idea to climb the mountain as Al Gore had recognised that the snow will be gone in 10 years - next time Al, take on the mountain yourself! For us, tackling the mountain has always been about the significance of the journey - firstly of course seeing it still laden with snow, the personal journey, but later on it also became about a journey to assisting others to fulfill their dreams, by using our journey to raise funds for the Reach for a Dream Foundation.

The snow was beautiful of course, but every step forward, was a step sidewards.

We were all very tired, but the first casualty was Pam, she had nausea (didn't we!) but hers was very severe, so she asked to go back. Then we were down to three. The climb was getting interesting until the next thing that happened - I went from standing straight, to straight up with my face in the snow! Jamu and all had no problem with me going back, I was proud that the others went on, but I achieved Inbian Rock at 5000m above sea level and no-one can take that away...sure, it isn't Uhuru Peak (5895m above sea level), only three of our troop got there today as the weather was so bad. I cannot tell you how Sheila and John performed, but I am very proud of them, summitting at Gillman's Point 5680m above sea level before they were also sent back.

That's the end of the message I received from my Dad.

I just received a telephone call from very good family friends Geoff and Sue Stephens in England who rang to check that our travellers are safe and healthy and to say how proud they are of our travellers achievements and to send love to them.

Mum, Dad, John we are all so proud of you for your extraordinary accomplishments, and I have to tell you, I was inundated with phone calls, sms's and emails yesterday from family and friends enquiring after your wellbeing. You guys have all done remarkably well.

Wish I were there to give you all huge hugs, I'm sure Linda will oblige though when she meets up with you all in Zanzibar.

Namasté.

2 comments:

Jen Jen said...

Wow!!! Congrats to all of you... I am so very proud of all three of you..
Richard, you achived a great deal and at the end of the day your health matters more. Just have been up there must have been amazing..
Dad and Sheila, wow, you must be so proud... Sorry you couldn't climb the final 15m due to unforseen circumstances.

Dad, I admire you so much, your courage, determination and your endurance.. You have achieved your goal, I can't express my happiness enough. I just want to give you great big hug.....

I had quiet a couple of dreams about you guys last night, waking every hour to try guess how far you'd be up. I tried to phone dad but obviously his battery is dead or no signal...

good luck on the climb down....
Love to all of you
love me and the fairies

managetransfers Debt Settlement Live Transfers said...

Remember that mistakes are okay. ganga bhakti In most cases, everyone will understand.Ganga music