For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Monday, January 21, 2008

End of Day 2 (Sunday) on the Mountain continued...

News just in from the travellers about the end of Day 2 on the Mountain...

It has rained all day today and we are all very tired and wet. Our duffle bags that the porters carry are not waterproof, so we all have wet gear. We are praying for warm weather tomorrow.

Altitude sickness has really grabbed me (Richard) and I am feeling nauseous all the time. In addition, I just can't get enough oxygen and this is only the second day. I slept badly last night, so I shall take a sleeping pill tonight.

Despite the weather and lack of oxygen, this mountain is spectacular, she occasionally peaks through the clouds, tempting us to go on. The peak is covered with snow, which will be great for pictures, but not so good for the cold.

I am off to sleep now, sleeping is the only time I don't feel like throwing up!

We have a rest day tomorrow, I can't wait!

1 comment:

managetransfers Debt Settlement Live Transfers said...

Now you know some of Ganga music the tips used by masters of public speaking. Use them in your own life to help boost your confidence. ganga bhakti