For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Friday, January 18, 2008

Leaving Johannesburg

I have just dropped my folks and John off at the airport, having managed to get there in very comfortable timing, despite the majority of the robots on the way being out thanks to load-shedding!

On the left is a pic of the troop taken this morning in our little garden with all their hiking gear, fired up and ready to go.

Hopefully I'll have a further update for you this evening when the troop arrives at the Springlands Hotel...until then...feel free to add your comments by clicking on the word "comments" below.

1 comment:

Jen Jen said...

The 3 Muskateers
My heart goes out to all three of you. My emotions are overwhelmed when I see the photo before departure. To realise it is actually happening...
I am just so truly proud of you dad (as i keep saying)..
You 3 make a good group...
good luck on your first day of climbing.
Love
Me
and the fairies