For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Thursday, January 3, 2008

20 Days to go

I love living in Durban. Having spent the first 38 years of my life in the UK, the weather is just right for me here. It doesn’t have the pace of Johannesburg which suits me fine and I am 20 minutes away from an airport to take me anywhere I need to work. I love Durban… but.

To climb Kilimanjaro, or apparently any height above 2,400 meters, we will need to manage AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) and people from the coast are more susceptible than people from higher altitudes, say Johannesburg. The theory is that you climb high and sleep low, getting higher and higher as you go.

To counteract the effect of living in Durban we have decided to get to the highest possible point in South Africa and stay over night on the way to Johannesburg, and then fly to Tanzania. I have booked the three of us in backpackers accommodation (might as well get used to it) at the top of Sani Pass (2874 meters) on the 16th January. We will stay with my daughter in Johannesburg (1800 meters) on the 17th and stay over night in Moshi Tanzania (1800 meters) on the 18th and then start the climb. With a bit of luck that will help us to acclimatise

The Photo Routine. We are getting into a habit now. Every time the cameras come out we know how to get the best of the photography. Sheila is very good at reminding us “Sunglasses off so that the camera can see your eyes, Caps turned round so there is no shadow on the face and stomachs in!”

John and I went for an excellent walk around Virginia Bush last night. Two and a half hours at a fairly steady pace. Sheila couldn’t come as she had to do the airport run. You will notice from the picture that we forgot the last part the photo routine.

We have been blessed with wonderful children two of whom (Cherri and Keylim) live and work in Johannesburg (Cherri with her husband Mark). It was delightful to have all three of them for the Christmas Season but surely they can arrange to travel together. No…. Six flights! And. Of course, 6 flights mean 6 trips to the airport. Oh well….

No comments: