For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Saturday, January 19, 2008

4 Days to the Summit

We're now at Marangu gating filling in the required forms and have picked up a new member of our group...Pam, who didn't want to travel alone. So, we now have someone to take genius shots like this one!



This is our first day on the mountain and the weather is perfect for walking. We are all itching to get going. The porters have to weigh their load as they are not allowed to carry more than 15kgs. And...we're off!


Please feel free to add your comments to the blog by clicking on the word "comments" below.

1 comment:

Jen Jen said...

That's good news that the beginning formalities are going well.
Good on you lot for taking in straglers..

You 3 look like you ready to take on a mountain or something-what's up with that?
Good luck.
Love me