For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

7 Days to the Summit

Written in Durban - 56m above sea level

We are off tomorrow so we are just putting the last finishing touches to the packing. We have put all the things that we just can't climb without in our rucksacks and the rest in the duffle bag. The principle here is that all the baggage handlers in Kilimanjaro international Airport and at O. R. Tambo airport know exactly what is in the bags flying to Kilimanjaro so they are very tempting. Not only that, bags get lost at airports. No?..... Oh Yes... sometimes. And we don't want to get to the mountain and not have the really essential stuff. We can manage with only the underpants we are standing in but we couldn't manage without all the warm gear needed at the top.

So in the rucksack (carry on luggage) we have the fleece jacket, fleece trousers, balaclava, outer gloves and inner gloves, thermal underwear, waterproof trousers and sleeping bag, etc. We will be wearing our walking boots, windproof trousers and carrying out hi tech jackets. That should do it.

Next stop Sani Pass. I am really looking forward to this stage in the trip. If you want to know why we are going to Sani Pass (which is not exactly on the way to Kilimanjaro) then read back a few entries in this blog.

I have put in a few pictures of what we expect to find when we start to climb at the end of the week. We will be updating this blog at least daily from now so keep coming back and see what we are up to.

By the way... Please feel free to add your comments as you read this blog. Just click on the button below and type away.

2 comments:

chan00036 said...

I am in awe, and admire you sooo much for doing this. Wishing you a safe climb and may you reach the top. Denis and I expect to hear about it all when you return, so be sure to record every miniscule detail. Love you both lots and lots. Chantell

Jen Jen said...

The 3 Muskateers
I wish you 3 all the very best of luck on your climb.
I know you have all trained very hard in prep and know that you will all make it to the very top.
I hope you have a good start tomorrow at Sani Pass and may it only get better from there... May you have all you need in your rucksacks to get you all on your way..
I have sent some of my fairies to travel with you and send me all the feedback...
All my love and best of wishes.
xxJenxxMaryxx