For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Monday, February 4, 2008

10th Day after Climbing Kilimanjaro

It has now been 10 days since we left the mountain and it is time to finish this blog and post the last of the pictures. This is a harder task than I thought it would be.

The mountain has consumed me. For the last 6 months we have talked about nothing else, we have been preparing, training, purchasing equipment, asking “what if” questions and considering every eventuality. Before we left we were ready. We were fit and had all possibilities covered.

Then came the day and we left with excitement in our hearts and just a little trepidation in our minds. What would we find when we get there?

Well… it was nothing like our expectations. We had enjoyed the training and were expecting to enjoy the walk up the mountain but after the first day it was less enjoyment and more just hard work. Each day we pushed ourselves harder than we ever thought possible, reaching and surpassing personal boundaries. We experienced every possible weather condition from hot sun through rain, biting cold, sleet, high winds and deep snow.

Altitude sickness affected us all and despite the Diamox tablets that we debated prior to trip, in the end it was the altitude that stopped me from getting right to the top. I lived with the nausea for 4 days, coming in waves especially at meal times, but it was my inability to get enough oxygen into my lungs that was the most disabling. Sheila got an infection that slowed her down considerably. Pam (our hitchhiker) got fed up with throwing up all the time but John, although he had some of the symptoms of altitude sickness, seemed to be less affected than the rest of us.

So Sheila and John summitted at Gilman’s Point (a fantastic achievement at 5681m) and my personal achievement was 5081m which got me to Indian Rock on the last morning, 600 meters lower before my body gave in to the altitude and I passed out.

So what have we learnt? My first reaction was that I have failed. I set out to climb a mountain and despite 6 months of training and preparation, I wasn’t able to do it. The next reaction was to think of all the reasons I was not able to make it. I needed to forgive myself for this failure (I am not used to failure and am not comfortable handling it) but everything I thought of just sounded like an excuse.

Now I see it differently. With the benefit of hindsight, I can see that each of us succeeded. Climbing Kilimanjaro is not just about getting to the top. Once you have been there you know how arbitrarily the mountain chooses who should reach the top and who shouldn’t. If there is a prize at all it should go to the guides who climb the mountain 20 times a year with less equipment and far less effort than the tourists.

Climbing Kilimanjaro is all about breaking personal barriers. Each one of us walked harder and climbed higher than we ever have before. Each one of us pushed ourselves further than we thought possible. Each one of us faced the real possibility of dieing on the mountain (that may sound dramatic at sea level but up there it is in your mind). Each one of us came back with a greater understanding of ourselves. And, of course, each one of us helped to raise over R60,000 for Reach for a Dream. Sounds like a success to me.

Finally before I wind this whole thing up and get on with my life, I would like to place on record how much we all appreciated the contribution made by our Guide Juma and his assistant Rashedi. Juma in particular was an exceptional and caring guide who went well beyond the call of duty to help us reach our goals.

9 comments:

Jen Jen said...

A very well done to all three of you!!!

I am so very proud of all of you, what you have achieved is more that most people dream of.
It must have been such an awesome experience, and just to be there must have been an all time high...

Dad
You will never quite know how proud I am of you, I brag about you to everyone, more people have been cheering you on that you'll never get to meet, but they were all backing you and were asking about your progress on a daily basis, some are still asking after you.... I look up to you so much as I've always done. You are most probaly the strongest person I know, you will not stop until you have achieved what you set out to do, your sheer determination-many can learn from.. Your endurance, strong head and attitude has got you so far and you'll always get further and further....
And you being you, your little sing songs and sayings and strange and wonderful comments kept you motivated and pushed you further than you will know... WELL DONE DAD!!!

Sheila
Wow, well done.. The views and sights and daylight and nightlight must have been awesome for you as I know how you enjoy those things. Just the whole experience must have been so special for you.. You just kept pushing till you reached your dream.. I'm proud of you.

Richard
Wow, well done. I'm proud of you, you achieved so well and you must hold such treasured memories.. You must just remember, you are not a failure, you passing out is out of your control and it is your body physically telling you to stop., each person is different and no amount of training in durban could have prepared you enough for what you encountered.You have to listen to your body and when your body says stop-you should stop.. You still achieved your dream of the mountain and raising over
R60,000.00 which you must remember will change countless lives..

Once again, well done to the three of you...

P.S My fairies are back with me after seeing you home safely...

xxxJenxxx

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Nicky T said...

Hi John, Richard & Sheila
I have been quietly following your progress since Kirst told me about this "crazy adventure" her dad (John) was doing! Admittedly I haven't checked up on your blog for a while and decided to get a quick update today....to my shock the summit is all over and done!
Naturally this prompted me to quickly create an account and congratulate you all!
Well done on achieving something truly amazing! Me personally? I would rather gargle wasps, but that doesn't mean I am not completely impressed at what you have all achieved! You must all be so proud of yourselves! I can't wait to read about the next "crazy adventure"...........
Love, Nicky Taylor

Jenn said...

I am not sure if you are still checking this or not but I am about to pack for my climb up Kili and I am wondering if there is anything you couldn't have climbed the mountain without or anything you wished you had left behind? Any advice would be great! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Hello,
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post.Safety is certainly the most important thing, but it is not the only one. The best operators to climb Kilimanjaro simply do not have the best safety record,

kilimanjaro treks

Anonymous said...

One of the most crucial things to make sure you get right is the size of your boots. I found out this the hard way when i got a size too small and couldnt go past 4000m. i would recommend to buy your own pair and hire the rest on arrival at kilimanjaro.

Climbing mt Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route is the most scenic and popular.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great trip to hike Kilimanjaro. Now you have done an expedition to climb Mount Kilimanjarowhy not trek to base camp at Everest?

Unknown said...

Our family members have planned to climb mount Kilimanjaro during the month of January-2014, so we physically and mentally prepared ourselves. When i see your blog, I become excited to climb mount Kilimanjaro because you have mention very helpful tips that motivate us for climb mount Kilimanjaro.Thank you for mention such a fantastic list.
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb

managetransfers Debt Settlement Live Transfers said...

They speak the words internally instead of speaking out loud. This can cause all sorts of issues the day of your speech.ganga bhakti Get used to hearing your voice, so it doesn't throw you.Ganga music