For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Monday, October 1, 2007

108 Days to go

Monday evening walking is always a challenge. After a hard day at work and school to worry about tomorrow there is never enough time. It was raining at 17:00 as well so the temptation to give it a miss is strong. We didn't give in however, and had a good 90 minute walk (about 7 km) in a circle around Durban North.

We are still doing a lot of reading about the climb and trying to make decisions. The main one at the moment is whether to take tablets to avoid Altitude Sickness. There seem to be two problems:

  1. The best way to avoid altitude sickness is to drink plenty of water. Four litres a day seems to be the optimum. On the other hand the tablets seem to be diuretic, taking water out of the body which defeats the object.
  2. The other reason to be concerned seems to be that the tablets seem to hide the symptoms, but if you don't know feel the symptoms how will you know if you have a problem?


The symptoms to watch out for seem to be: headache, nausea, dizziness, and difficulty sleeping, and are aggravated by not drinking enough water, drinking any alcohol, cold weather and climbing too high too quickly. I think we had better get some tablets (Diomax) and give them a go.

No comments: