For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Sunday, October 7, 2007

104 Days to go


We have just had a wonderful weekend at Giants Castle. The weather looked really bad all week and we couldn’t decide whether to go or not. Right up until Saturday morning we were still undecided. But we left anyway. It was raining in Durban but it cleared up on the way which was promising. Michaela came with us as we had decided to stay over and get in two days walking up the mountains.

At Giants we put on all our kit and set out for Meander Hut and Beacon Ridge. Within 2 minutes this walk gets very steep for about 30 minutes and you wonder if you have made the right decision, however it levels out and after that the views are spectacular.

The walk is about 15km and it took us about 4 hours with a break at the Beacon for a snack. Michaela was skipping ahead all the time. How does she do that?

It didn’t rain until we were just about back at the camp.

That evening we spent at White Mountain resort which was fun. Although the beds were hard we all slept until 08:00 on Sunday.

The morning climb included the caves and the river walk. Nice, but not mind blowing.

We are worried that we won’t be getting enough time to exercise in November. I am away for a lot of that month so we will have to be careful to walk when we can.

No comments: