For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Saturday, October 27, 2007

87 Days to go

Great News.... John has decided to come with us up the mountain. He has the stamina and he is a good friend so I am sure he will add to the event. We had a good walk through the Virginia Bush today. Tried some of the new twists and turns and found a lovely picnic spot that I am sure is a great place for lovers... Oh to be young again! John led the way and he will have to learn to slow down his pace. He is a fast walker and that will not do on Kili. We went shopping for him this morning and bought boots, a rucksack and walking poles. R3,500. I think he was a bit surprised! Oh well... you don't want to get to the top and realise that you should have bought better boots.

We still have a lot of purchases to make but we are leaving the clothing until we have found out more from the people who have done it.

At the bottom the weather seems to be warm and maybe wet, so that will be easy to dress for with a waterproof something to cover it all. The best advice for the top (where the temp can get as low as -25C apparently) seems to be four layers on the top (Thermal vest, t-shirt (not cotton) fleece and waterproof jacket with hood) and three on the bottom (Thermal pants, fleece and waterproof pants). Most of all we will need flexibility as the weather can change instantly.

We are still waiting on “Reach for a Dream” to see if they will allow us to raise funds for them and Geoff to see if he is joining us.

Off to Kloof Gorge tomorrow. We really battled to do that walk two months ago so it will be really interesting to see if we are fitter now.

No comments: