For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Sunday, October 28, 2007

86 days to go

We left early this morning for Kloof Gorge and had our hardest walk by far. Six hours up and down the side of the Gorge was great exercise and I am beginning to feel as if we are getting fit enough to make it to the top of Kilimanjaro. The map we had wasn't very good (at least, that’s my story and I am sticking to it) and we came out of the reserve too early. We (I) must have missed a path earlier on and we were not in the mood to back track and find our (my) mistake so we walked around Kloof for a while looking lost until a friendly local (who happened to be a long standing customer) took pity on us and offered to drive us back to the car. (Thanks Robert).

Despite the mistake we had a good day and I was exhausted by the time we got back home

No comments: