For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Sunday, September 30, 2007

109 Days to go

We were up at 05:45 this morning and we drove half way to the Drakensburg today only to be driven back by the weather. I don’t mind rain but knowing that it would be wet and muddy kinda put us off the whole idea.

Back in Durban an hour later we drove to Umhlanga Rocks and walked two and a half hours on the Lagoon walk and then onto the beach before the rain sent us back.

Actually had a great day and having Michaela with us helped to make it even better. We saw a tiny deer on the path the size of a cat (Sheila called it a Piete Buck and who am I to argue) He was very friendly and didn’t mind having his picture taken.


We have started to investigate the equipment we will need. The boots we were using, although comfortable, were not good enough so we had to buy the real thing (R1200.00 each). Typically they are less comfortable than the R300.00 pair but these will last at least until the end of the climb in January at least. They are welded rather than sewn so there is no chance of letting in any water. The rest of the gear will be about R8,000 each I think, so I just have to get a couple of extra speaking engagements over the next three months to pay for them.

No comments: