For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Sunday, September 9, 2007

130 Days to go

Had a great walk today. We, of course, had the parental duties to perform as well so we didn’t go far, but we did find a great walk on our doorstep. Just 5 minutes walk from our house lays “Virginia Bush”. I have known it is there for the 14 years we have been in the area but I have never visited the place. Today we went for a fascinating walk in the bush which was both tiring and interesting – just what we need. The place is amazing and will certainly be an attractive 2 hour walk in the future. Apart from anything else it was totally empty. You get the feeling of being a hundred miles from anywhere deep in the bush, but just 5 minutes from home. Great!

We are both getting fitter – I can feel it, and tomorrow is the day when I pay for the trip, so there is no going back after that.

No comments: