For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Sunday, September 2, 2007

137 Days to Go

We have started to train in ernest now. For the last couple of weeks we have been walking 3 times a week but we will need to move on if we are going to be fit enough to do the climb.

We drove up to Kloof and walked the Yellow Route on Kloof George. This was particularily draining, especially the hard climb on the way back. This really focuses the mind, and makes you wonder how hard the Kili Climb will be. I have no fear of the actually walk. I know it will be hard and I will wonder on the way up why I do these things to me body, but I think that the altitude will be the real risk.

Sheila has been doing a lot more reading up about the climb than I have. She tells me that 10 people each year die trying to climb the Kilimanjaro. Strangely this news excits me. This means that the walk isn't just a "walk in the park", and it will be tough.

No comments: