For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Monday, November 26, 2007

57 days to go


No training today but such a lot of Kilimanjaro activity. I sent out an e-mail this morning to some friends and customers to let them know what I am doing and how they can help if they want to. I have spent the rest of the day fielding the phone calls and e-mails of support, many of them pledging funds for RFAD. The comments have been many and varied from "Mulvey's midlife crisis" (thanks Clive) to "Well done, I wish I was going". A few people have made contact with advice, most of it very useful.

Most of all I am amazed by the generosity of many people. We now have pledges for over R27,000 so I am thinking that my original target of R100,000 may be well under what is possible. We will see. This blog has had 75 hits today so far so I am hoping that there is still plenty of interest to be generated. I don't have any pictures of training today so I thought I would add another one from the Grand Canyon last week.

No comments: