For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Sunday, November 25, 2007

59 Days to go


I am back from the USA now and back into the training program with Sheila and John. We did 9 km around the streets of Durban on Saturday and then had a great 3 hour walk in Paradise Vally Nature reserve today. The paths on the reserve were badly washed away from the rain during the week but it was great fun none the less.

The fund raising is starting to show some progress and on my return from the States I was delighted to find that Clive Simpkins and Jacques de Villiers had both put up a page on their Blog. The Lions club in Port Shepstone have also come to the party with a wonderful contribution so we are moving ahead.

The list of things we need for the climb seems to be never ending. I will post a list here in a few days but to give you an idea we have already spent over R12,000 each on kit and there will be more I am sure. (Boots R1,400, Jacket R1,000, Waterproof pants R500, Windproof pants R500, Sleeping bag R1,500, etc, etc.) One thing is for certain, when the weather gets cold at the top of the mountain (-20C) we will be ready for it!

No comments: