For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

31 Days to go

The test for the training to climb Kilimanjaro is to see if we can walk for 7 hours up fairly steep hills and still be prepared to walk the next day. We have just taken the test….. and passed!

Monday was a public holiday in South Africa so we took this opportunity of looking for a really demanding walk. John picked us up at 5am and we motored for 3 hours to get to the Drakensburg. With a short break for breakfast we arrived at Giants Castle and we were ready to walk at 9am. There was a little tension in the air as we knew it would be a long day. We were carrying our regulation three liters of water, all the emergence stuff, two walking polls each and waterproof clothing just in case. We decided to walk out towards the Langalibalele Pass, cut across country and walk back from Bannerman’s Hut. This should be a 9hour 30minute walk with plenty of steep hills on the way. I figured we needed to test ourselves, and we did.

The way up is very steep and it seemed to take us forever. I was beginning to worry about time and considered turning around after 4 hours walking because we hadn’t managed half way by then. The group opinion was to go on. It should be down hill and easier to make up time traveling back.

We climbed higher that we have before (2,200 meters) and the flora was quite different. There had been a lot of rain recently so the rivers were full as well. One of the rivers we had to cross would have been impossible had the water been just a little higher. My new camera was working overtime and I took a movie as well to get some practice with camera angles. I must say the results are excellent.

In the end we arrived back at 18:45, and after a brief break made for the gate. Unfortunately the gate was locked by the time we got there but a guard let us out anyway. (Make mental note to be out of the park by 19:00 next time)

We were all exhausted by the time we got back to the car and the 3 hour drive home was very draining. Having been up at 04:30, driven three and a half hours to get there, walked for over nine hours, it was pretty silly to be driving in the dark for another three hours.

We all agreed, however, that this was a great day out and well within our capabilities. Next stop Kilimanjaro!

No comments: