For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Sunday, December 16, 2007

34 Days to go

The Flu or not the Flu.

We were all set to go to the Drakensburg last Monday (Public Holiday in SA). Sheila had spent Sunday doing the last of the Christmas Shopping (although I am sure there will be a few things that we just have to rush out for on Christmas Eve), and I prepared the rucksacks, washed and filled the new Camelbak water bags, and generally looked forward to the long walk in the Drakensburg. Sheila was sick when she got home from shopping and later we decided to give the Drakensburg a miss. Later still I rang John and told him that I would go but at 04:15 am on Monday I had succumbed to the bug, so we really had to cancel. Sheila and I have felt bad all week and only now coming round. We have decided to go on Saturday. I hope we will both be well then.

I have spent some of the week watching the other Kilimanjaro videos on Youtube. These are very interesting and have given me an idea how best to film the event (and what not to do as well). One Video used the music from the beginning of the Lord of the Rings movie (not right at the beginning, but where Gandalf arrives). I am sure there are some copyright issues that still have to be sorted in Youtube, but the music was perfect for the video.

One video showed a hapless couple who seemed to have rain the whole way and then couldn't stay at the top to take pictures because the mist came down and they couldn't see a thing. This is now my worst nightmare. To get all that way to see the view and pick a bad day…...

1 comment:

Arnold said...

I hope you guys have a great trip, you have nice weather, you enjoy yourselves and above all I hope you make lots of money for Reach for a Dream. Can't wait to see the video on your return. I wish you all well.