For some years I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro. Being the highest point in Africa and the highest stand alone mountain in the world has its attraction, but for me it's just the challenge. At first I had the time but didn't have the money, then when I had the money I didn't have the time, now that I have neither I must make the time and find the money.

Richard Mulvey

I was delighted to be able to persuade Sheila my wife and later my close friend John van der Horst to join me. We are doing this climb to raise funds for The Reach for a Dream Foundation (www.reachforadream.org.za) and hope to raise R100,000, and with your help we should make it.

************* To see a larger version of any picture, click on it ****************

Thursday, January 17, 2008

6 Days to the Summit

Okay.... So here we are at the top of Sani Pass 2874m up in the mist. It is cold and wet but the drive was wonderful.

We left Durban at 09:45 after packing John's Hyundai 4x4 with all the gear for the three of us. There was much hilarity when John admitted to packing 3.5 kilograms of snacks for the climb. Now we are encouraged to take energy bars and snacks but 3.5 kg?

The drive up to Sani is most definitely for 4x4 drivers. I found it exciting but hard work however John found it harder as he has some difficulty with heights. (and he is climbing to the highest point in Africa?) The mist came down just as we got to the part where the best pictures can be taken. Tomorrow the weather will be better..... I hope.

No comments: